The steps that we have taken include:
- Optimising the website for search engines so that users can consume less energy searching for information on our website and avoid visiting other websites with less relevant content.
- Structuring the website and designing the content so that users find the information that they require as easily as possible and minimise visits to pages that are not relevant to them.
- Using images and videos carefully to aid the understanding and accessibility of our information while avoiding redundant or irrelevant assets being downloaded.
- Using image compression and modern file formats (e.g. WebP) to minimise the size of image files downloaded by users.
- Minimising the number of font variations used within the website to optimise the size of font files downloaded by users.
- Using a content delivery network (CDN) to serve images and other files from servers as close to the user as possible.
- Caching pages or parts of pages where possible to minimise the amount of intensive processing required by the server.
- Ensuring that the site code is as efficient as possible.
You can view an independent assessment here